Monday, August 9, 2010

Repurposing Crib to Toddler Bed

This pretty crib is very special to Judd and me.  We purchased it years ago as an act of faith while confronting fertility problems. We believed God would help us fill it with a child of our own. For years it sat assembled, yet empty, in our unused nursery of our previous home. When I visited the nursery, sometimes I felt sad and lonely. My heart ached so deeply for my children - children I was head over heels for - whom I just hadn't met, yet.

My mother had back surgery and stayed with us for six months as she recovered. I was happy to have her in our home, and remember the day I disassembled the crib and tucked it away in the garage. The nursery became my mother's guest room. There were times I wondered if I'd ever have a reason to put the crib together again.

Years passed. Fertility treatments were unsuccessful. We moved into a beautiful new home we built. Time marched on. We tried in vitro and it worked! Finally, we could  use this crib - seven years after buying it. Sophie loved sleeping in her crib and enjoyed the nursery I created just for her. I sewed all her curtains and bedding. I made matching throw pillows and a lampshade for the jewelry box lamp her Daddy made for her.






Psalm 113:9 "He gives childless couples a family, gives them joy as the parents of children."

Twenty months later, when we had our twins, we moved Sophie to a toddler bed. Riley slept in this treasured crib. We purchased another crib for Piper to use and I sewed her a matching bed set.


At fifteen months old, Riley started trying to climb out of this crib. We moved her to her own toddler bed. I just couldn't part with our original crib.

So, Judd figured out a way to cut, glue, bolt, sand, stain, and convert this precious crib into a toddler bed for Piper.




He just completed the transformation a few days ago. I'm so proud of his hard work.



Piper loves her toddler bed. Now that both Piper and Riley can get in and out of their toddler beds at will, they have begun sleeping together in one bed or the other. We hadn't anticipated that but find it so sweet.


All three of my children will have slept in this crib -- in one fashion or another -- and called it their own.
 Psalm 4:8 "I will lie down and sleep in peace, for You alone, O Lord, cause me to dwell in safety."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feedback/comments